I am happy that you are using this web site and hope that you found it useful. Unfortunately, the cost of making this material freely available is increasing, so if you have found the site useful and would like to contribute towards its continuation, I would greatly appreciate it. Click the button to go to Paypal and make a donation.
Charles Anderson-Pelham was born on 8 August 1781 in Brocklesby, Lincolnshire . He was the son of Charles Anderson, 1st Baron Yarborough and Sophia Aufrere. In 1763, Charles Pelham of Brocklesby died without any heir; he left his estates to his great-nephew Charles Anderson (1749-1823), who assumed the additional name of Pelham; he was created Baron Yarborough in 1794. Consequently, his son Charles was styled the Hon. Charles Anderson-Pelham from 1794 to 1823. Before his elevation to the House of Lords, he was Member of Parliament for Great Grimsby (18 July 18 1803 to 31 December 1808) and for Lincolnshire (15 May 1807 to 31 December 1823). He became second Baron Yarborough on the death of his father and was created Earl of Yarborough on 30 January 1837.
Yarborough married Henrietta Anne Maria Charlotte Bridgeman Simpson, daughter of Hon. John Simpson and Henrietta Francis Worsley, on 11 August 1806. Their children were Lady Charlotte Anderson-Pelham and Charles Anderson Worsley Pelham, 2nd Earl of Yarborough(12 April 1809 - 7 January 1862).They lived at Appuldurcombe House on the Isle of Wight.
Yarborough was the founder of the Royal Yacht Squadron. In 1825 he was appointed as Commodore of the Royal Yacht Squadron at Cowes and during his time as Commodore cruising and yachting flourished and the club grew in reputation and numbers.
In 1835 whilst on the Falcon he was badly injured by being thrown across a sea chest during a gale and was further disabled by a bout of influenza. After this he deiced to sell his pride and joy and buy a smaller vessel, the Kestrel.
On 5 September 1846 Lord Yarborough died suddenly on board the yacht Kestrel whilst in Vigo, in Spain. The Royal Yacht Squadron Committee put up £200 towards a Nautical Monument or Sea Mark at some appropriate spot in the Isle of Wight to perpetuate his memory. The Memorial which was erected as a result of their subscription, stands on Bembridge Downs.
The inscription on the monument reads:—
As the ownerof large estates, he was one of those most conspicuous for the qualities which peculiarly adorn that station and as the first Commodore of the Royal Yacht Squadron he was eminent in fostering and encouraging by his example and liberality all that ws calculatedto improve the science of naval architecture and to advance the maritime interests of his country. He died on board his yacht the Kestrel in the port of Vigo in Spain, September 5th 1846, aged 65.
There is another monument to Yarborough, the Pelham's Pillar Monument, at Caistor, Lincolnshire, England. Pelham's Pillar on the Brocklesby estate above Caistor is one of the area's most extraordinary landmarks. Towering 128 feet into the air and guarded by two impressive stone lions the pillar has stood on the site for over 150 years. It was built to commemorate the planting of the surrounding woods by Charles Anderson Pelham, Lord Yarborough. Between 1787 and 1828 he had 12,552,700 trees planted on his property. He was raised to the peerage as the first Baron Yarborough in 1794.
The foundation of the pillar was laid in 1840 by his son and the building was finished by his grandson in 1849 – in time for a visit by Prince Albert. Stone for the pillar was fetched from Grimsby docks by road – the railway had not then been built – during 1844-45 and the major part of the building was done in the years 1845-48.
The total expenditure on the Pillar came to £2,395 4s 3d. This included £145 to W D Keyworth for carving the two lions and 100 guineas to architect Edward James Willson of Lincoln for drawing up the plans.(Information for this monument was taken from this web site)
|Meet the web creator||
These materials may be freely used for
non-commercial purposes in accordance with applicable statutory allowances
and distribution to students.
Last modified 6 January, 2011